Previous Research & Publications
2007-2008 Post-doctoral researcher, Centre for Ecology and Hydrology, Edinburgh. ALARM project (http://www.alarmproject.net/alarm/), European Union Sixth Framework Programme. Climate and density effects on performance of native and alien bluebells. in prep (among others):
- Kohn, D.D., Hulme, P.E., Hollingsworth, P.M. Contrasting reproductive strategies in sympatric UK native and alien bluebells.
2004-2007 Research Fellow, CEH Banchory/Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh. Is the native British bluebell threatened by Spanish and hybrid bluebells? Natural Environment Research Council through the Daphne Jackson Trust.
- Kohn, D., Hulme, P.E., Hollingsworth, P.M, Butler, A. 2009. Are native bluebells (Hyacinthoides non-scripta) at risk from alien congenerics? Evidence from distributions and co-occurrence in Scotland. Biological Conservation 142, 61-74.
2003 Centre for Conservation Science, University of Stirling. Seed dispersal in the invasive Rhododendron ponticum.
- Stephenson, C.M., Kohn, D.D., Park, K.J., Atkinson, R., Edwards, C., Travis, J.M.J., 2007. Testing mechanistic models of seed dispersal for the invasive Rhododendron ponticum (L.). Perspectives in Plant Ecology, Evolution and Systematics 9 (1), 15-28.
1998-2000 Biodiversity Action Plan research on twinflower (Linnaea borealis). Scottish Natural Heritage contract to Richard Ennos & Colin Legg, IERM, University of Edinburgh.
- Kohn, D., Lusby, P., 2004. Translocation of Twinflower (Linnaea borealis L.) in the Scottish Borders. Botanical Journal of Scotland 56(1), 25-37.
- Kohn, D. 2004. Species dossier for twinflower, Linnaea borealis L.. Plantlife UK.
- Kohn, D. & Ennos, R. 2000. Action Plan Research on Twinflower. Final Report to Scottish Natural Heritage, contract no. R/AC3/BAT/98/58.
1989-1992 Research assistant, PROSAMO (Planned Release of Selected and Modified Organisms), Imperial College, Silwood Park, University of London, UK. Relative performance of transgenic and conventional crop plants in natural habitats (Cornwall, Berkshire, Sutherland, UK).
- Crawley, M.J., Brown, S.L., Hails, R.S., Kohn, D.D., Rees, M., 2001. Transgenic crops in natural habitats. Nature 409, 682-683.
- Hails, R.S., Rees, M., Kohn, D.D. & Crawley, M.J. , 1997. Burial and seed survival in Brassica napus subsp. oleifera and Sinapis avensis including a comparison of transgenic and non-transgenic lines of the crop. Proc. R. Soc. London B 264, 1-7.
- Crawley, M.J., Hails, R.S., Rees, M., Kohn, D. & Buxton, J. 1993. Ecology of transgenic oilseed rape in natural habitats. Nature 363, 620-623.
- Rees, M., Kohn, D., Hails, R., Crawley, M. & Malcolm, S. 1991. An ecological perspective to risk assessment. pp 9-24 in Biological Monitoring of Genetically Engineered Plants and Microbes. International symposium on the biosafety results of field tests of genetically modified plants and microorganisms, Kiawah, South Carolina, November 1990. USDA, Washington, D.C. and Clemson University, South Carolina.
MSc. (1988) Biogeography of very small islands: a study of flowering plants and habitats in Shetland. Imperial College Centre for Environmental Technology, University of London.
- Kohn, D.D. & Walsh, D.M., 1994. Plant species richness - the effect of island size and habitat diversity. Journal of Ecology 82, 367-377.